Saturday, December 25, 2010
1 cup semolina
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup coconut powder
1 cup powdered soya milk
250ml plain soya yoghurt
2tbsp egg replacer
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of sugar syrup (Sheera - way of preparation below)
5 cardamon pods
Optional: almonds for decoration
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
2. Mix all the ingredients together in an electric mixer (apart from the almonds and sugar syrup).
3. Grease your baking dish with oil
4. Pour your mixture in the baking dish, add almonds to the top if desired.
5. Place baking dish in the oven for 30 minutes (till golden).
6. To check if fully done, stick a toothpick into the Basbosa and make sure it comes out clean.
7. Pour cold sugar syrup onto the warm Basbosa and leave to cool slightly then serve.
How to prepare the Sugar Syrup/Sheera:
1. Mix 1 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup of water and heat till the sugar melts.
2. Zest an orange and then squeeze half of the orange into the mixture and add saffron and about 5 cardamon pods.
3. Leave to cool.
4. Remove all of the zest and cardamon pods before feeding it to the Basbosa.