My friend Luke's mother sent him this and he passed it on. I have Veganised it but left it as she has written it as it sounded just how my mum would have sent it.....
Oh dear, I sort of make up the quantities as I go along but here goes.
1.Buy a food processor
2.Chop the following ingredients small - like the texture of mince.
2 or 3 carrots
1 leek or I sometimes use some cabbage if Im intending to get a few more veg into you !!
2 or 3 sticks of celery
Approx 2 x 200gm packs chestnuts (tinned or vacumn packed)
3.Heat1 tablespoon of oil in a largish sort of saucepan, add all the above except the chestnuts and cook gently til they soften(about 10 to 15 mins) Stirring.
4. Add the chestnuts plus:
1 Bay leaf
100ml of good red wine (organic Vegan are the Best, but you can also use a can of cola)
2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon of soya sauce
5. Simmer for 15 minutes while the oven is pre heating to 190c 375f or gas mark 5.
6. While that's simmering put potatoes on to cook and mash them about a kilo the recipe says!! You can start the potatoes off first if you keep an eye on them so they will be ready and mashed by the time the filling is ready.
7. Assemble in a big enough dish and grate Vegan cheese on top.
8. Bake in the oven until crispy enough for you. Probably about 3/4 hour to an hour but it rests well.
9. Don't forget the sweetcorn and peas or whatever you fancy to go with it. Make the potatoes nice and Creamy with some olive oil or soya spread.
love mum x
P.S DON'T Forget to take the bay leaf out !