Monday, June 09, 2008

Two Great books...

I have for some time now been doing books on audio. Mainly for two reasons, the first being I never really get around to finishing any books I pick up (the intention is always good but alas my soul is weak). And secondly the only time I get to read is when I'm traveling back and forth to work. I know for some of you this would be a great time to read but I find trying to read on a bus or a subway train a real pain, you would not know how many times over the last few weeks I've missed my stop...

Well I decided I really wanted to read these books as I had been keeping an eye on them for some time now. So away went all my doubts and I picked up a copy and started to read...

These two books will never change your life and in some parts are not written to well (who am I to comment on that) but they did entertain me in my long trips to and from work, and after all what more could a reader ask. I even found myself finding time in the day to catch up with what Mr Wilde was up to...

I have bookmarked the website to the books so I can keep my eye out for a third and maybe even a forth, so all can't be bad...

Here is the link for you... The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries.  

And my final not on the matter is 'A green carnation is just that, green. No more or less'.

Bear. X


Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders

London, 1889. Oscar Wilde, celebrated poet, wit, playwright and raconteur, is the literary sensation of his age. All Europe lies at his feet. Yet when he chances upon the naked corpse of sixteen-year-old Billy Wood, posed by candlelight in a dark and stifling upstairs room, he cannot ignore the brutal murder. With the help of fellow author Arthur Conan Doyle, he sets out to solve the crime - and it is Wilde’s peculiar genius and his unparalleled access to all degrees of late-Victorian life - from society drawing rooms and the bohemian demi-monde to the criminal underclass - that prove the decisive factors in their investigation of what turns out to be the first in a series of bizarre and apparently inexplicable killings.

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders is a gripping detective story that explores the secret world of Oscar Wilde – his surprising friendships, his complex marriage, and his unusual association with Inspector Aidan Fraser of Scotland Yard.

Set against the exotic backdrop of fin-de-siècle London and Paris, Gyles Brandreth evokes Oscar Wilde’s trademark wit and brilliance with huge flair, intertwining all the intrigue of the classic English murder mystery with a compelling portrait of one of the greatest characters of the Victorian age.



Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death

The second witty installment in an astonishingly authentic historical murder mystery series featuring detective Oscar Wilde and his partner-in-crime, Arthur Conan Doyle

It’s 1892, and Wilde is the toast of London, riding high on the success of his play Lady Windermere’s Fan and celebrating with friends at a dinner party where he conjures up a game called “murder” that begs the question: Who would you kill, if you had no chance of being caught? Wilde and friends, including Arthur Conan Doyle, Bram Stoker, and poet Robert Sherard (the novel’s narrator) write the names of their “victims” on pieces of paper and choose them one by one. After leaving the party, Wilde scoffs at the suggestion that he may have instigated a very dangerous game indeed….

The very next day, the game takes an all-too sinister turn when the first “victim” turns up dead. Soon Wilde and his band of amateur detectives must travel through the realms of politics, theater, and even the circus and the boxing ring to unearth misguided passions that have the potential to become deadly poisons…not only for the perpetrators of the seemingly perfect crimes, but also for the trio of detectives investigating them.

Richly atmospheric and as entertaining as Wilde himself, here is the second in a series destined to delight mystery readers and fans of historical fiction alike.

No comments: