Monday, October 17, 2011

21st Century Bread



If like me you dream of a fresh loaf of bread with your soup but can't be asked moving yourself from the kitchen, well I may have found the recipe for you.

I mean lets face it you've just spent time making a wholesome soup from fresh market vegetables you should be eating a home made bread with it. Now don't get me wrong making your own bread that takes hours to do is an amazing thing, but lets look at this with honesty and not our bakers eyes, you don't have the time.

So this recipe takes about 5/10 minuets to prep and 35/45 minuets to bake, about the same time as it will take to make your own soup.

Now the photo at the top of this article is no Hovis loaf but a) its the first time I've made it at home and b) I was in a rush... What I was hungry.

So how easy can this recipe really be? You'll see...

Ingredients:

425g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I always use kosher or smoked sea salt)
100g vegan cheese (not the super melting type)
20g nutritional yeast (always good to add some B12 when you can)
2 tbsp chopped chives or lemon thyme
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
200ml water

Method:

1. Heat oven 200c ready to bake your loaf
2. Prep a tray with grease proof paper and get ready a cooling rack
3. put all the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl, including the herbs and cheese, mix together
4. add water and combine into a dough
5. round off the loaf and place on the tray, slash the top of the loaf with a cross
6. bake in the oven for 35/45 minuets until the loaf has a hollow sound when you tap on the bottom.
7. place on wire cooling rack for about 10 minuets to firm up and make it easier to cut and your ready to eat you soup and cheese bread

If I could only give you smelly blog or taste in a blog you would be wanting to marry me at this moment.

Well I'm off to eat lunch, catch up soon.

Bear x


No comments: