Monday, November 20, 2006




Five-A-Day Bubble and Squeek

Now I don't know if Bubble and Squeek is a very English thing or not, but I find it a very good way of getting my "5-a-day." I tend to use a good dark green (a good source of calcium) I cook them down with some onions and garlic. For the main part of the Bibble I use a mix of carrots, potato's and butternut squash, which I cook together with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt. When it is all cooked down I then mash the roots together but not to well as I find the chunks look nice when it's served. Mix in the greens and the onions then return it to the frying pan you cooked the greens and onions in. I find a good non-stick pan will not need any oil to get a nice brown crust on the mix (don't mix it to much at this point, you want the crust on it as it will add a nutty taste) When you are happy with the colour add a bit of salt and pepper and serve.

You can always make alot of this and store it just before you fry it off, it should keep in the fridge for a few days in a air tight container.

Bear. x

No comments: