Friday, February 24, 2012

Japanese Shopping




Following on from my Bento Box post yesterday I thought I would show you some of the goodies that have arrived this morning. I love to make Sushi and being Vegan hasn't stopped me in any way. I find it a great way to relax and it gives me time to think and ponder the world and what is going on in it.

You don't have to be a chef to make an interesting Sushi platter as there are loads of books and websites that fit in with your skill level from starting out to being a whizz with a knife. Even though I haven't made any for some time now it all fell back into place with me trotting off to the kitchen for an hour to tinker with my rolling map (It doesn't take that long normally but I was having lots of fun so just took my time).


There is something fun about dishing up a platter of Sushi that is not only tasty but is also amazing to look at. Just the smile on someone's face as they relies that you have taken time to make something that looks like a picture just for them.

Some of my tips for making Vegan Sushi...

1) Have fun, if your stressing about it your Sushi will reflect your stress.
2) You don't have to but if you buy the right rice and seaweed wraps you'll get a better product. You don't have to have a Japanese supermarket on your doorstep as there are loads of companies that deliver within a few days. I have used www.japancentre.com they were not next day but it came within three working days and delivery costs were around £5 for whatever amount of food you had delivered. 
3) There are no such things as mistakes when making Sushi, everything is edible and taste.
4) Make a date of it with a friend or loved one, two people making a mess of something is much more fun and you can eat as you go along.
5) Lay everything out so you can see what your doing and that you've got it all before you start.
6) Fresher the better when it comes to your fillings.

The next step... If you feel like you have got the hang of it why not have a Sushi dinner party? You can have all the chopping done and all the dips ready for when your friends turn up. Then all people have to do is put it all together... 

Bear x

No comments: